Recap: NIGP “Best Value Procurement” Webinar Presented by Negometrix CEO, Jan Siderius
September 12, 2018 - New York, NY
On September 11, 2018, The National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP) invited Negometrix CEO, Jan Siderius, to present an hour long webinar regarding Best Value Procurement. In the webinar, Mr. Siderius covered many interesting topics within Best Value Procurement, such as:
1. Why Best Value?
2. Importance of early procurement involvement
3. How to determine criteria
4. Importance of scale
5. Assigning weights
6. Scoring, especially price scoring
7. Simulate (before engaging with bidders)
8. Don’t be scared paying too much
9. Nine take home lessons
During the webinar, Mr. Siderius described the differences between procurement in Europe vs the USA. He proceeded to poll the audience on why they felt there was less value procurement used in the USA as opposed to Europe. The audience responded (in order of importance):
1. Difficult to change the way we have always done things
2. Worried to defend non-price criteria
3. Will result in higher priced bids
4. I have little experience with it
5. Against agency policy
These responses emphasize the need to spark change and innovate within the procurement community. As discussed in the webinar, Best Value Procurement is effective and efficient, while helping find the best supplier for any solicitation.
The presentation includes some useful examples of criteria and warnings about scaling, weighing, and scoring. In addition, the presentation slides provide criteria checklists which can be used for most agencies when setting up your solicitation.
To access the webinar presentation slides, click the link below: